Monday, March 19, 2007

The push I needed?

For those that have been here a while, know that Other Admin was 'laid off' a few months ago, laid off being more that she is on-call when Head Admin or I need a day off, and she works weekends at The Other Office. Times are slow in the Real Estate market, Bossman felt he couldn't afford to pay her for full-time work. He said he would take her back on full-time as soon as things pick up.
We're still waiting.
I think that he chose to lay her off instead of me because I have a child. She is a single 21-year-old who lives with her mother. Head Admin owns her home and has a car note. Priorities.
On Friday when he came to drop off my paycheck, he was scribbling something in his appointment book and casually (???) mentioned "You better hope this market picks up soon..." then he closed his book and walked out.
He left me with my eyebrows raised and my heart going a thousand beats a second.
I know I've been paranoid in the past about losing my job, but now he's just down to me and Head Admin. Head Admin has been with him since he bought the company four or five years ago, and he worked with her at the previous office, so he has history with her. And she knows how to do a lot more than I do, which they have taught me some stuff here and there but nothing to guarrantee my job.

I don't mind.

Maybe this is the kick in the pants I need to get me to actually enroll in school and get a degree in something a little more stable. I was talking to Daddy about it, and I mentioned how my father had offered to pay for any classes I wanted to take, wherever, as long as I wasn't answering someone's phone for a living. Daddy's eyebrows raised, mine were already up high (I don't think they came down since my bossman said that comment...).
"So maybe I'll go to school full time."
He made that "Why not?" face with a shrug of the shoulders. How great our communication is...
So today I will be researching schools for getting into something medical. Even if I just take a certificate course and become a medical assistant for now, so I won't be out of work for too long. (Nine months? and I could probably do something part time?)
We'll see where this road takes us.
I hope my bossman doesn't take it too hard if he does come to give me the "I'm closing the office" speech and I cheer instead of cry...

10 comments:

Mama of 2 said...

Sometimes you are right we all need that "PUSH" to move even when all along we knew we should have been doing just that.

I think your idea of the medical field is a good one. It's certainly stable and if you do as said and took a certificate program you might be able to find a place that would pay for more schooling for you as you worked for them.

Good luck with all of this and I hope for the best for you and your family.

sourpatchbaby said...

I agree with mamma of 2. Whatever you have to do to get ahead girl, go for it. At the end of the day, just do what feels right for you and your family. Plus, you can always schedule your classes for one or two days of the week leaving you with the rest of the week to either get a part time, or stay home and not have to pay daycare. You could almost be a stay at home mom! Soo jealous!

DD said...

Was your boss trying to prepare you or warn you? Weird.

Diana said...

mamaof2-thanks.
spb-oohhh SAHM!?!? I'm loving that idea...
dd- who knows with him. my bossman is a spaz...but either way I'm taking it as warning to prepare myself. how's that?

sweatpantsmom said...

Good for you! It sounds like it may be the catlyst for doing something that you truly love. So go ahead and cheer if you get that notice...

Maria said...

I'm a better-safe-than-sorry person myself and I can tell by the way that you write that you are smart as hell, so...yeah. Go for it.

It took me fourteen years to pay off my student loans (I was in college for nearly 10 years!), so I say YES, let your Father help you.

OhTheJoys said...

I'm cheering you!!! Go! Go! Go!

Anonymous said...

Things fall into place as they should. I'm glad you are being proactive!

Tuesday Girl said...

good for you!
My friend makes great money being a dental hygenist!
Good luck Diana.

dennis said...

when it happens, cheer! for the luv of pete, cheer!!