Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Does anyone do it anymore?

And by do it I mean say something in their head before they let it come out of their mouth...

today - overheard - was "I don't like watching basketball because it makes me think of having black man sweat all over me."

WHAT?????????

I was standing next to a black man, a co-worker and friend of mine, and I turned more red than i have ever turned in my life, and the words didn't even come out of my mouth. He was pissed, as he should have been.

Now here's my issue. I know racism exists, I know there are still some very closed minded people out there that are entitled to their opinions as am I, but do they really have to ignorantly say shit like that out loud? I was so hurt for my friend.

2 comments:

DD said...

I am trying to imagine what context this statement was spoken, but I cannot imagine any that would make this any less ignorant.

Someone should say something to ther person who made this statement, and if it's another co-worker, it should be their supervisor.

Rebecca said...

It is sad that there is still rascism in the world even now. But you hit on the key word: Ignorance. And being ignorant, these people just don't or can't know any better. You could always say something to them, but I doubt it would get through to them. Being ignorant probably means that they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. I just view them with pity and feel sorry that they are so stupid/sad/pathetic/ignorant.