Tuesday, November 06, 2007

"Don't expect immediate results."

Isn't it great when you read that? I googled eczema today, and have the number to 3 Allergists that I'm going to call to see who can take Little Man first. (BTW-thanks Tuesday for the link.) So, seeing as how I have not changed our soap or detergent since the kid was born, the eczema may have been triggered by an allergy. Possibly a food allergy. (fucking great...) So thinking back, I haven't given him anything out of the ordinary to eat, and he hasn't even been to my mother's house so SHE couldn't have given him anything. I'm bringing him to an allergist to get the skin patch testing done to see once and for all WHAT the boy is allergic to, so that we can do some spring cleaning in our pantry. This is going to be fun. I feel bad for him, he isn't even really itchy anymore but he's all patchy (i'm going to post a photo from google so you can get an idea of what he looks like.) and I feel crappy that he has to spend his birthday all blotchy. (TOMORROW HE'S THREE! OMG!!!)
Hopefully the oral meds they gave him along with the cream I've been putting on him will keep it all under control, but 'don't expect immediate results'...because apparently this is going to take a while. Eczema likes to make itself comfortable...


picture: Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket (This is the closest I could get, he only has this on his legs and arms...but you see why I thought it was ringworm? this is called nummular eczema.)

5 comments:

Creative-Type Dad said...

yikes! Poor little guy..or should I say big guy

Tuesday Girl said...

Poor kid! I am glad you are getting him tested, this is common with food allergies.

Amanda said...

even if you haven't changed anything, if this eczema is re-current, it may be a sensitivity to a soap/detergent. My son had such a bad case, it got a staph infection. We switched everything to products that don't contain SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate), and he has barely had a flare up since. California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo/Body Wash and Lotion is great, as well as Sensi Clean laundry detergent. Also, I found foaming body soap at Wild Oats SLS free.
http://ournaturalbaby.com/articles.php?article=1

dennis said...

yuck!

Good luck!!

Healing might make the boy hungry so don't forget to get him 'the Bucket' when he is on the mend

Diana said...

tues- oh yes!
amanda-thanks, keeping that in mind!
dennis- the steroids make him VERY hungry...the other morning he had THREE sandwiches. usually it's a miracle if he eats half of one...