Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A grand day at the Grand Prix

I was so happy to hear Daddy's voice on the phone yesterday before I left work. He is not one to call me fifteen times a day, he's busy at work, so we will maybe talk once during lunch or something. Anyway, he called and said "Hey, we should go to the Grand Prix today." I'm thinking Dude, it's Monday, and we don't get outta work till five and by the time we get the baby it'll be almost six. Then I would have to go home and change into jeans because there's no way I'm going in heels, then the baby will have to eat... but I said "Okay, that sounds fun. Let's go." He called me about an hour later to tell me he had gathered the troops, several friends of ours would be joining us for some Impulse Monday Fun. The baby was fed and I was in jeans and we headed to the Grand Prix with great expectations. Obviously, the boy didn't get on any of the cars, but he loved watching me and Daddy on them. We took turns staying with him on the sidelines and he would wave and cheer as we passed. We played several games in the arcade, putting Little Man on our laps to drive the race simulators and put him on the "real" motorcycle. He dropped coins into the "Everyone's a Winner" games and squealed when tickets came out. He waved at the cute little girls. He waved at the cute not-so-little girls. He was asleep before we left the parking lot.
After I read that news story yesterday, I needed that outing. And I read another scary one today, and it makes you think. All the "What if's" come flood your mind, and you just want to grab the kid and hug him till he pushes you away. Then when he pushes you away, you still want to hug him more. Life is scary, it's short. You just never know. I know I have some anger issues I need to work on, and I need more patience with my son, but I can only do it one day at a time, right? So yesterday, I didn't yell at my son. I didn't lose my temper at anyone. I just had fun with my family and some friends.
Taking it one day at a time, hoping to have many days to take...

1 comment:

Jess Riley said...

Impulse Monday...I like it! Glad to hear your day was fun. :) And you're so right: life is short, so it's always nice to have a reminder to enjoy & appreciate our loved ones now.