Friday, November 10, 2006

I WILL write about it, because I want it to STOP

My son has taken to waking up at three or four in the morning asking for milk.
Hey, buddy, how 'bout some sleep???
He comes really close to my face and says "Ma." nice and loud, breathing heavily on my eyelashes, sometimes putting a finger in my eye for good measure. "Cheche." he says, his word for milk, a form of leche which is the real way to say it in Spanish.
"Go to sleep." is all that comes out of my mouth. I do NOT want to get up at three or four in the morning to get milk for a kid that has NEVER woken up in the middle of the night to ask for anything...since he was a few months old anyway. And isn't giving them milk in the middle of the night bad for their teeth anyway?
"Ma."
"NO."
"Daddy?"
Daddy snores his answer.
"Maaaaaaa," now whimpering.
He had two sippys before bed, he can't be thirsty. He had a full dinner and snack before that, he can't be hungry.
"Little Man, I'm serious, Go. To. Sleep."
Tears, wailing.
I get up to get the stupid fucking milk out of the stupid fucking fridge, he takes a sip, and falls asleep hugging the stupid fucking cup.
For two weeks this has been going on. Daddy and I have been alternating nights, just to wake up to a sippy on our backs full of milk that needs to be thrown out.
He went a few days this week not waking up, and I thought it was over, but last night it started again. I filled the sippy about halfway, knowing he wasn't going to drink the whole thing, the only difference was he didn't go back to sleep. He was up until my alarm went off, moving around, putting his arm on our faces, kicking us under the blanket. I couldn't go back to sleep because I was too busy telling him to lay back down, or to stop kicking me...oy.
I had called my mother for advice when he did it the first three nights. That didn't help me.
"Maybe the daycare is letting him sleep with the sippy at naptime and he's used to it now."
"Mom, they don't let him use the sippy at daycare, they give them real cups."
"I'm just saying, if they are letting him sleep with the sippy-"
"MOM they don't let him use the sippy at school."
"But it could be a reason..."
What the fuck...

So I'm tired of it. Why would he start doing this all of a sudden? Has anyone gone through this? Give me something! Tell me it will stop and I will get some sleep again sometime in the near future, before he is a teenager...

5 comments:

Jen said...

Oh hun, wish I could help....but I can't! Punk has been getting up at 5:30 every morning and screaming "I WANNA WATCH NOGGIN!!" Noggin doesn't even come on until 6! I end up having to turn on one of the shows that we've DVR'd. This is the kid who used to sleep in until 9:30 every morning. I'm sooo not liking this!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my life. Sadly, there is no escape. It is the freaking Hotel California.

Mama of 2 said...

So far Girlie Girlie hasn't taken to doing this and I am hoping that your Little Man won't be sending his vibes her way. As for a solution or suggestion I wish I had one.
If it's a phase thing I hope he goes through it fast for your sake.

dennis said...

I think your mom has the right idea, just the wrong end of it. What if...now don't just dismiss this idea out of hand...what if YOU were to take Little Man a sippy TO the daycare and ask them to let him nap with it?

Eh? Eh? and I give your mom all the credit for this idea! LOL

The real answer (one that we learned with girl.imp and forgot and ignore and tried to work around and finally were forced to reapply with boy.imp) is to let the bugger cry. Cry loud. Cry in your face, in your bed. Cry while bouncing off of you, the mattress, the floor, the walls. The first few nights are HELL ON EARTH!

However, the heavenly part (the part I am enjoying right now, this very moment) is PEACE. Quiet, Joyful peace...

Mamacita Tina said...

What if you left a sippy cup of water near his bed, or an empty one he can snuggle?

Since my little guy doesn't sleep in a crib anymore, he kept getting up in the middle of the night and naptime. We finally put a thing on the doorknob so he couldn't open the door on his side (it goes around the doorknob, adults are able to turn the knob, but little ones can't). Lots of tears, but he went back to his bed and went to sleep. Once he's asleep, we open up the door. If he gets up in the middle of the night, we put him back to bed, give kisses, hugs and say good night. We closed the door. He tested it and would cry, but would eventually go back to bed. Then we would open it again. Now it's been months since he's gotten up in the middle of the night and we can leave the door open all night long. I hope this doesn't sound mean, I just found a way to contain him, similar to how a crib contained him when he was a baby.