Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What do you tell the nutritionist?

My son eats anything and everything you put in front of him...only if he wants to. I just read what Zach said last night to his mommy, and it surprised me that just last night my son decided he didn't want to eat meat, at all. I made lasagna (yeah, don't get excited it was from a box.) with a side of Caesar salad and garlic toast.
My son will usually eat all the meat on his plate and decide he doesn't want the rice. Or he will eat all the beans and some of the meat and maybe a bite or two of rice. Or he will eat all of his potatoes and green beans and chicken and lick the plate clean. He has never said no to meat. Last night I didn't want him to make a mess with the lasagna, so he was going to be eating from my plate, and he refused to even take a bite of the lasagna. He has eaten it before and has liked it so I know that wasn't the issue... all he wanted to eat was my salad. He didn't even take a bite of garlic toast, just ate my salad. I ended up giving him a couple slices of salami (yep, lunch meat for dinner baby!) and cheese just to make sure he got some kind of food in his system besides lettuce. (He won't eat a normal sandwich, it's a waste of bread. He will only eat bread if it is plain-right out of the bag, or with ketchup and mayo on it.)
These kids...

The thing is that we get WIC, and every couple of months we have to go in to see the nutritionist and she asks all kinds of questions about his eating habits, and I usually make it look like he's the world's bestest eater, which sometimes he is, but I feel that if I tell her about these episodes they will stamp my forehead with a red B for BAD MOTHER.
Any remedies to get around these moments? Or do you just deal and go with the flow...?

11 comments:

JayMonster said...

What do you tell the nutritionist? That is easy. The truth. You actually have it quite easy compared to some with awfully picky and finicky kids. They will go through episodes of want this/don't want that. Nothing to fret over.

Anonymous said...

my son is very very picky hes a peanut butter sanwich boy or just macronni with cheese..
his doctor told me the kiddos wont starve . some are just picky.. when they get hungry they will eat.. very normal for kids to do this
i was like whew!! cause to me those 2 foods aint really meals to me and it makes me wonder how they get their nutrician
LOL

Anonymous said...

Well...sounds like his age. Punk goes in and out of eating good and being picky. Right now, he'll only eat red meat and potatoes, on the nights that there isn't either of those on the menu, he has cheese, chips and a banana. It's rough, but its what ya gotta do.

Be honest with the nutritionist...he/she knows that kids are kids and they dont always eat perfectly...there's no shame in that!!

dennis said...

I know! It is sooo hard to get these kids to eat fish-head soup and shrimp (when the head, feet and shells are still intact)!

And Lord is it impossible or what to keep oatmeal and banannas in the house! Don't even get me started on yogurt...

good luck Diana! But as long as the imp is healthy, don't stress about the nutrician

Anonymous said...

Go with the flow, Diana. Just go with the flow. And if all else fails, give him a vitamin...haha.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like nearly every kids I know of.
That's why they make Pediasure in Ice cream form and vitamins that's gum and gummy worms.

I would just keep trying. Kids go through odd moods and they take it on their eating habbits.

Anonymous said...

I don't think what you're describing is anything unusual. I have a friend who's son is nine and will absolutely not eat anything that isn't white. White pasta, white bread, white rice is fine, but if he sees a speck of vegetable or sauce he freaks out.( We call him a Food Racist.)

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else: these kids of ours will not starve. And they'll have very odd eating habits for many years. All we can do is encourage them to make good choices.

I agree with the vitamin - that'll at least give his body the right nutrients he needs. And tell the truth. You may get a nutritionist who'll love over her glasses at you with that TSK TSK look on her face, but who cares. She isn't perfect either! Try not to stress! xoxo

Tuesday Girl said...

Kids go through phases of picky eating in my experience.

I did talk about some ways to get veggies in your kid here:
http://www.parentingourchildren.com/picky-eaters/

Diana said...

I hear you all! Picky does not equal starving, I just get worried. And the nutritionist is the "tsk tsk" type that MamaLee mentioned, and I feel threatened. She makes me feel like the third grade teacher that loomed over your desk making sure you're looping your l's correctly, so they don't look like i's.
So it won't matter if he survives on popsicles and cheese, as long as he survives...! ;)

Mama of 2 said...

I wouldn't get too worried about the whole eating thing...I mean haven't you read any of my posts when it comes to food and my own Little Man...or perhaps that what you are trying to avoid. LOL!

Seriously though I don't think you have much to worry about. Girlie Girlie for the most part is a great eater but she will have days when she won't want something that she normally gobbles down. I just give her extra of what she will eat and figure the next day it will all even itself out.