Monday, November 07, 2005

For My Son

Today is your first birthday Little Man, and I could swear I was just in the hospital waiting anxiously (after the epidural) to hold you in my arms. You were born at 9:28 P.M, after 23 hours of keeping us in suspense, and making the hospital staff keep an operating room open just in case they had to pull you out. At about 9:15 you actually decided to start your journey on your own, and I couldn't have been more happy when I saw you. Tears in my eyes I reached out for you- and the doctor put you in DADDY"S ARMS. Asshole. Your Daddy sat in the chair with you in his arms and I couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather be. Finally Daddy gave you to me and I decided there was nothing better than you.
Your first year has been an interesting one, I nursed you for three months. That's three months with NO SLEEP because you wanted to eat every two hours. GREEDY. I had to stop nursing you because I came down with the nastiest cold/fever I have ever had and the doctors told me I had no choice but to wean you. I was heartbroken, but I wasn't going to put you at risk for anything. You took to the bottle pretty easily, as long as you got to eat right?
I look at you now, walking around with Elmo in your arms, and I can't believe it's been a year. I feel like I just changed your first poopy diaper, like I just gave you your first taste of applesauce. The Elmo you're carrying is bigger than you, we got him from Build-a-Bear, and it's the only thing I can get you to bring to me. Ever. You won't even bring me your binky, which you love...but apparently not as much as Elmo.
You hear the Sesame Street theme song in the morning and you rush to the living room saying "la la!", the closest rendition of Elmo's Song because you know he's coming on at some point.
You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, you saved me in so many ways. You are my ANGEL. (That was almost your name but Daddy wasn't having it!)
I look forward to the next year with you, my love, to all the adventures we will have.
For now I will close- but every adventure we go through will be chronicled here.
I love you, Little Man.

No comments: