Monday, January 15, 2007

Is it too early for the sigh of relief?

SIX DAYS.
It has been six days since my son has had a binky/pacifier/bobo/whatever you call it in his mouth.
It has been six days since he has even seen one.
He's only had one meltdown asking for it, and my weakling husband got one out of the draw and gave it to him, where I snatched it back and gave him the evil eye. "We agreed that we were going to be consistent, asshole, why would you give it to him.?" "I don't want to hear him cry." "Well too bad. Let him cry. He doesn't need it anymore." And I threw that binky in the trash. And my son fell asleep ten minutes later, on his own, on the couch. No pacifier.
He has only asked for it twice during the night in the past six days, and I tell him "NO. Go to sleep." and he shuts up.
So I want to do a happy dance, but not too soon. I want to make sure we don't have an episode where I come home and the boy has found the stash and he's sucking on like three paci's at the same time, just to get his fix.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, and I'm very proud of your son. I would hide the stash even from your husband. If he caves while you are there, you'll never know what he'll do when you're gone.

BTW, I hate it when my husband says he doesn't want to hear his child cry. That's when I tell him it's his job to try to get him to stop crying by playing or distracting him. Not yelling or ignoring him (my husband, not yours).

Diana said...

dd-I thought going cold-turkey was going to kill one of us...but thankfully it hasn't. Hiding the stash when I get home today, just to be safe.

Anonymous said...

Cold turkey is really the only way to go with stuff like this. Luckily for me, only my little Drama Queen ever had a soother. My nanny took it away from her when she was about three. It was no problem. I am proud of your little man!!

Thanks for popping by my site.

Tuesday Girl said...

Diana, I just wrote about this on my parenting blog!

We are going to go cold turkey tomorrow night, wish me luck.

Anonymous said...

My advice- just get rid of the stash all together. That's what I did when I took the bottle away. That way there is no room for anyone to "slip up" or "cave in." And by "anyone" I do mean the hubs.

dennis said...

Congrats!!

Pretty soon he will have the car keys in his chubby little fist and you and hubs will be using the pacifiers!!

Stand strong Diana!

Anonymous said...

Girlie Girlie has been binky/paci free since the beginning of December. She never had a huge attachment to them basically only had one at nap and bed time. So when we went to her 18 month check up her doc told us to just get rid of them completely since if Girlie Girlie did end up getting attached for some reason it would be harder at ages 2 or 3 to get rid of them.

So no binkys here

Anonymous said...

Baby with secret stash....that amuses the heck out of me....HAHA.