Friday, January 19, 2007

Ears and eyes (?) and ICU

First let me start by saying that I never knew someone could leak so much crap from their eyes, and not have Pink Eye. Really. Tuesday I got called from Little Man's daycare, and you know it's never good when they call during the day. "Little Man has a fever and it keeps rising!" Fun. Picked him up, went home to some Motrin and some cartoons. At some point the Motrin stopped working before its time and The Call was placed, The Call to The Doctor. "Bring him on in! But tomorrow. See you then!" Chippy little twerp. The Visit- I went on to describe his symptoms (and of course he didn't have the fever when we went there, let's make Mommy look paranoid!) and The Doc checked him out. Turns out he has a nice double-whammy of an ear infection (both ears), and a cold to boot. "He needs a few days off!" Yay. Amoxycillin, the pink stuff, but he doesn't even know he's drinking it because I hide it in his milk. I really don't want 'bubblegum' flavored meds on my face, since he has the tendency to spit meds back out with the force of hurricane winds. Yesterday he was begging to go to school, I don't think he likes being home with me too much. I'm not as fun as the little rugrats in his class. This morning I called the daycare to make sure he can go in. "As long as he doesn't have a fever, bring him on in!" I was relieved, as I was beginning to think I was going to lose my sanity...er, job...whatever.
Now for the kicker- my mother is in the ICU. She called me on Tuesday to tell me she wasn't feeling well, could I possibly try to get in touch with my sister so she could bring her to the hospital. Sick boy, sick mother, fun week. After this summer's scare I was nearly going bananas, waitng for her to call me and tell me she was "Fine! False alarm! Going home now!" but instead I got the call that she was being admitted to the ICU because she had a kidney infection and they had to put her back on an IV and to prepare for another nice stay. I didn't sleep a wink this whole week, worrying about her and Little Man (who only gets a cough at night and nothing makes it go away), you should hire me to carry your luggage under my eyes, the bags are HUUUUGE!
As of today, Little Man was left (tentatively) at daycare, with strict instructions to call me at the first sign of him being sick. (I forgot to add that he has not once complained about his ears. They aren't sensitive to the touch or my shrieking, so I'm thinking The Doc is full of it...) My mother is still in ICU, but only to be monitored since she only has one kidney and renal failure is common in people with Diabetes...
It's been a rough week.
If someone comes into my office they may think I forgot to take my Halloween make-up off my eyes...

2 comments:

Tuesday Girl said...

I am so sorry, I hope your mother gets better fast and leaves the hospital and that your son gets no more colds all year!

that would be a treat!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you got a whammy. I'm so sorry...but uh the undereye baggage made me laugh.