Friday, July 14, 2006

How about I sleep in your crib...

What I am about to show you should come as a warning to new mommies thinking about co-sleeping. Note: I'm not bashing it, if you like it good for you, but I'm not for it. I'm forced into it. By my son. He is a dictator-in-the-making.
See, I would be all for co-sleeping if he would stay in the position he fell asleep in...all night. But he doesn't.
Last night he fell asleep later than usual, but still on his own. He no longer wants to cuddle with Mommy, he doesn't want Mommy patting his butt, he doesn't want Mommy even laying next to him. Daddy is allowed to lay next to him but there are restrictions. This is how he looked about five minutes after he fell asleep: Notice how he strategically placed himself in the dead-center of the bed preventing any chance of Mommy and Daddy even touching. Mommy and Daddy have to lean over him to kiss good-night. (yeah we do that, sappy I know. Leave me alone.) Daddy went off to shower and Mommy laid down, feeling so tired her eyes may have closed the second her head touched the pillow.
Let me remind you that he moves. A LOT.
Here is the photo of what Mommy and Daddy's bed looked like this morning before Little Man woke up: He somehow totally kicked (well, pushed, because kicking would require feet, right?)Mommy all the way to the wall leaving minimal moving space causing discomfort in her back region. (I have woken up many times at the very foot of the bed...) He also managed to get THE FITTED SHEET off the mattress. He has one foot in Daddy's armpit and one resting on Daddy's chest.
This is a Queen sized mattress.
We have officially decided to put him in his crib tonight since we can risk the loss of sleep because neither one of us works tomorrow. I will report on that come Monday. Wish us luck.

*I also wanted to point out Daddy's elbow in the picture. See how dark he is, my cinnamon-colored wonder? Now I'm not dark, but I'm not light either. (My joke is that I'm fish-belly yellow. Go ahead, laugh it up.) Our son is white. You've seen the pictures... He has the same skin tone my mother does...the point is that we get the funniest looks when we go out together, people never think he is our child. We are a mis-matched family.* Okay, back to wishing us luck...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This totally made me realize that even though I sometimes get sappy and want to put Leah in bed with us- that I'm doing the smart and comfortable thing by putting her in her crib, lol. And we only have a full size!

Mama of 2 said...

Oh Diana...there really is a reason we both call our son's by the same name "Little Man". They sleep the same way. When hubby and him share a bed at camp Little Man decides that sleeping sideways while pushing daddy out of bed is the right way to do it.

Hubby hates going to camp now. LOL!

Diana said...

Kristen- he used to sleep in the crib. Then we went through moving issues early this year and he had to sleep with us. He liked it too much.
mamaof2-LOL! too bad it's always me he's pushing, though! I wouldnt mind if he pushed Daddy off the bed!

dennis said...

Oh Lordy! Those pictures are sooooo us!

I even stopped counting the number of times I have been kicked in the side of the head or had my hair pulled as b.imp claims his territory.

As far as touching mommy goes, if nothing happens before 1 a.m. (oh stop it, we are both a little bit of night owls)...

Lynanne said...

I can totally relate to this post! I can't remember how old they were when they were banished to their crib, but I was certainly tempted to claim their crib as my own much earlier :)

MOM IS NUTZ said...

I have 3 that have slept with me...2 of the spawn still find their way into bed with us...or my hubby...I usually end up on the couch...on another note...I'm happy to see we are not the only people without a headboard....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SuperMom said...

I have a co-sleeper, too. Good luck to you! Perhaps you will inspire me :-)

Tricia said...

I co-sleep with my children. Well, my 6-year-old is now in his own bed (in his own room). But, he likes to sleep in my bed when he is scared.

Now, my 4-year-old - we are trying to break him out of this habit...and I kind of don't want to - because I only see them for a few hours a day due to work...but that is a whole other story.

I guess what I'm saying is - do what is right for you. I don't regret it.

Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha! Sometimes I try to convince my two-year-old to sleep in our "big bed" and she'll have none of it. "No! I sleep in my little bed!" she insists. She LOVES her crib and I guess I'm lucky. :)

Good luck over there.