Monday, March 27, 2006

Do you...?

I spoke to my mother a couple hours ago. Or rather she called me here at work to ask about Little Man. "He's alright mom." "Is he still throwing up?" "Not as far as I know mother." "Well, haven't you called to check on him?"
Now, Im going to stop it there, because we get into me offering to give her the babysitter's number if SHE would like to call... it's not pretty. (I'm a little stressed...)
Anyway- this morning when I dropped my Little Man off I had told the babysitter that she could call me at work at any time, and I would leave if he got sick again. She told me not to worry, that she would call me if anything happened. No phone call from her=everything is fine. So I didn't want to bombard her with hourly phone calls while she was busy caring for my child. I convinced myself that I would call once during "lunch" just to check in. (Of course, my mother called before that.)
So my question is- do you call your child's caregiver to check on your child? Granted, you all would stay with your children if they were sick and I'm the world's worst mother for coming to work today...
Still, when he's not feeling well, I call. Any other day, i don't. I trust that she will call me if she needed to tell me something. And the kid's always in one piece with all his fingers and toes when I pick him up everyday. No bruises, no cuts... But the point is...that I'm probably not making much sense. I worry. I don't want to interrupt my babysitter's flow with my son...

3 comments:

JayMonster said...

If it makes you feel better, just relay it to the baby-sitter that you are not calling to check up on HER just to get updates on him.

There is nothing wrong with being a caring parent, even if you can't do everything that you would ideally LIKE to do.

Anonymous said...

OK I'm with you here. I figure I have my cell with me and the sitter knows where I'll be. When Stinky is with the sitter I am officially ON BREAK. If she needs me, she'll call. I trust our sitter so I can at least TRY to pretend that I'm not Mama for awhile though everyone knows I think of him constantly.

Domestic CEO said...

I watch my sister's kids, and as much as I love her, it is so tough when she calls to check in. Of course I talk to her, but it's taking my time and attention from the FIVE children I have running around under the age of five! I agree with your thought that if there was a problem, she'd call. No call = no problem!