Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sad but true

I sometimes forget that there is still racism out there. I guess I must just turn a blind eye when people in the very neighborhood I work in look at me funny, or when they see me and Daddy together with our very light-skinned son. I guess I choose to ignore the sheer ignorance that some people have, even though we 'overcame' this years ago.
I wasn't going to write about this, but it's bugging me. And it's my blog.
Don't judge, just understand.

Yesterday was very slow in the afternoon, and I was done with my blogroll in no time. Not many people had updated, so I didn't have much to read. Sometimes I click on other people's blogrolls just to have something new to read, you never know what awesome person you may find on someone else's list. I clicked a link that ended up giving me shivers and it just froze me. I was dumbfounded and shocked, but it was this person's blog, their space, their feelings. I just couldn't believe it...I won't link it. I will quote: "I hate going near the mall because it is scary...we call that area the jungle because there are so many blacks in the area...I thought we were the majority here...I wonder where we're going to have to move to not be overrun by blacks..."
Ouch.
I'm not black, but that shit hurt me. I guess I'm really really stupid to believe that people didn't think this way anymore.
I don't even know what to say.
I'm just glad I'm not like that, I'm glad that my son is being brought up in a culturally diverse area. My son is hispanic but he is a mixture of two rival hispanic countries who for years never wanted to be associated with the one another. If you confused one with the other you would be told in a not-so-nice way that you were wrong. But i'm super proud, I'm in love with Daddy and love my son a gazillion times more than that...And if anyone ever told my son to his face that he lived in a jungle...well I wouldn't be too nice.
Needless to say, I won't be visiting that blog again. I just wish there was some way to stop all this...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes me so sad too. Why don't people GET that it is the differences that make our lives interesting?!

(And if you found that sh*t on a blog that I link to let me know because I am a generous linker, but I am NOT linking to that!)

Best,
OTJ

Diana said...

It wasn't on your page OTJ, don't worry. I don't even think the person whose page I found it on reads my page...it's one of those one-way linky love things. I do wonder if she knows about it though...

sourpatchbaby said...

I don't even know what to say about that. I think I would rather focus on the good part of the story. If I'm not mistaken, one of you is from PR and the other from DR. Am I right? Cuz, you know, I'm from DR and The Hubby is from PR. And it would be so totally kewl if you were the same too. I'm kind of lightish skinned but when I have my hair in braids I look black and I get the ugly looks. Also, since The Kid is extremely light and has all that fuzzy hair; he looks out of sorts with us too.

Diana said...

I'm the PRican, my dear hubby is the Dominican, so we're like opposite couples!
Daddy is dark, cinnamon colored (I love his color I wanted Little Man to have it so bad) and I'm fish-belly yellow. My son is WHITE with curly/fuzzy hair. (you guys have seen the pics!)

sourpatchbaby said...

I guess you wouldn't like what I tell The Hubby when we're fighting. "Yeah, well, at least my country has a president!", and "You know, USA only took possesion of your country so that Spain wouldn't have anything. It's not like you're wanted or nothing" Of course he knows I only say that when I'm losing the fight. Then he comes back with "Well, at least my country ain't poor!" and "really poor, really really poor welfare country!" We have lots of fun country bashing!

sweatpantsmom said...

Awful. Sad to think that while we believe that things are so much better now, there's always someone who hasn't evolved at all.